Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Isaac Brock is a Shit Eating Monkey Fucker

First let me state for the record that I have always been a pretty big fan of Modest Mouse, but I am about to trash them...

I remember reading a Spin magazine article about 3 or 4 months ago where they did a brief interview with the Modest Mouse frontman. In the article they asked about his influences and he said something along the lines of "I loved the Sonic Youth album "Washing Machine" I wished that I could slap my name on it and call it my own." Now that is not an exact quote or anything but it conveys the sentiment.

I was making musical love to my I-pod yesterday and I had it set on shuffle. "Blame it on the Tetons" by Modest Mouse was followed by "Unwind" from Sonic Youth. It was at that time that I realized they were the same damn song. Real original Isaac. I also remember that a few years back Sonic Youth had all of their instruments stolen. I am now going to hold the members of Modest Mouse responsible for that crime as well until they admit to their lack of originality in the form of a signed personal apology to me.

Modest Mouse is now on my shit list...

Jerks...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God dammit you're right. I've been steaming over this for a few months since I first heard the modest mouse song. Another little thing is "Workin' On Leavin' The Livin'" the lyrics are ahem...quite similar to the lady in the radiator song from the film eraser head. Ok I'm getting mighty picky here...I've been a modest mouse fan, but I know plenty of them. good stuff lets keep bitching so this'll never happen again. Sonic Youth ought to press charges those melodies are so damn similar.

9:28 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly thought Blame it on the Tetons was a cover of Unwind for a minute. It had been a while since I listened to Washing Machine but I recognized the melody instantly when I first heard Blame it on the Tetons. Imitation is the highest form of flattery so I'm cool with the little rip off.

1:57 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home